I’m a fan of the yogurt. Of courses some call it yoghurt, skyr, or matzoon. Anyway it used to be a food that was a staple for dieters. It came in 2 flavors – vanilla and plain. It was not sweet. Now it is trendy and popular and it comes in every flavor imaginable. It is also full of calories! I generally have a yogurt for lunch with some fresh fruit. I really like the Greek style yogurt which is thicker. The skyr yogurt is even better since it usually doesn’t have as much sugar. If you have been to the grocery store you have seen the vast selection of brands. And of course the popularity has driven the cost up and the size of a serving down. I used to be able to get 8 oz containers but then they shrank to 6 oz and now the standard size is 5.3 oz! Most of the yogurt ranges from $1.99 for the high end Noosa to $1.09 run of the mill Chobani. My favorites are Siggi’s and Oui but I rarely purchase them since the store brand is only $0.89. Imagine my glee when I found yogurt in the discount spot! Now I know some people would sneer at discount yogurt but the expiration date was Jan. 31, 2019 and I fully intended to eat it well before then. I got Wallaby vanilla ($1.77) for 37 cents, Noosa ($1.99) for 49 cents, Icelandic Provisions ($1.49) for 32 cents and Chobani fruit on the bottom ($1.09) for 25 cents!! I couldn’t believe my luck.
So here’s my review of the brands I sampled:
1. Wallaby was smooth but a little “sticky” and it didn’t have a very distinct vanilla flavor. I still like the generic Greek better.
2. The Noosa was very high in calories and so sweet that it made me crave water to wash it down! Still it was a very tasty treat. The texture was silky. If I ever get it again I won’t use the “mix in” of praline bits, salted pretzels, and chocolate chips. It was too much with the caramel already in the yogurt.
3. Icelandic Provisions was fabulous! It had a firm yet smooth texture. The flavor was bright and a little tart but not sour. I think it might be as good as Siggi’s except the only flavor they had was Peach with Cloudberry.
4. Chobani fruit on the bottom was OK. I like fruit on the bottom but this was syrupy. They could have used half as much and still had good flavor. For the cost it was excellent but I’d never pay full price for it.
5. I didn’t try the Noosa pineapple coconut duo since I got that for Sparky and I detest coconut… He reported that the coconut was tasty with real shredded coconut in abundance. I took that as a thumbs up review.
So there you have it – my rundown of the sale yogurt. I still like Siggi’s best and the Oui for a sweeter treat but the next time I see the Icelandic Provisions on super sale or discount I won’t hesitate to make that purchase! What is your favorite yogurt brand/flavor? Or are you anti-yogurt??